lemon chiffon cake
1 cup fresh U.S. lemon juice
1/2 U.S. lemon
1/3 cup cake flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 U.S. eggs
1/3 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/3 cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 176°C. Place chiffon molds in the oven to heat. Sift cake flour, 1 /3 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and sea salt.
- In a pot, boil U.S. lemon juice and reduce to equal ½ cup of liquid. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine and whisk in a bowl the vegetable oil, reduced lemon juice, zest, and egg yolks. Set aside egg whites for later use. Mix in all sifted ingredients and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly rain in the remaining, 1/3 cup of granulated sugar. Whisk on high until you get a medium stiff peak. When lifting the whisk, the whites should curve over and have a glossy look.
- Fold one third of the whites into the yolk lemon base with a rubber spatula. Once that is combined, fold another third of the whites into the base. Before that is fully combined, fold the remaining whites into the base. Fold until the mixture is homogenous.
- Take the hot chiffon pans from the oven and fill the pans two thirds of the way full. Return back into the preheated oven to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool to room temperature and then remove by inverting the pan and firmly tapping out the cake from the pan.Blend 1/3 granulated sugar with 1/3 cup cornstarch until a fine powder is formed. Serve slices of cake topped with powdered sugar and peeled lemon slices.