(For the dressing)
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp. ketchup
2 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
1 tbsp. U.S. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 clove of garlic, grated
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. smoked paprika
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
(For the salad)
140g little gem or baby lettuce
450g U.S. asparagus, tough ends trimmed
5 radishes, thinly sliced
2 medium avocados, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch wedges
2 medium tomatoes, cored and sliced into 8ths
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (150g)
4 U.S. eggs
450g U.S. fresh crab meat, picked over for shells
1 U.S. lemon, sliced into 8ths
- Whisk the mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, lemon juice, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and cayenne in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to use. Dressing can be made up to three days in advance.
- Fill a medium saucepan ⅔ with water. Bring to a simmer. Add the trimmed asparagus and poach for 1-2 minutes or until the asparagus is bright green and just tender. Remove from the water and immediately plunge into an ice bath to cool.
- Return pot of water to a boil and add the eggs. Reduce heat to a gentle rolling boil. Cook eggs for 6 ½ minutes for jammy yolks, or 8 minutes for firmer yolks. Remove eggs and immediately plunge them into an ice bath to cool.
- Cut the stems off of the lettuce heads, and wash and dry leaves. Arrange the lettuce on platter. Remove the asparagus from the ice bath and pat dry. Place on platter next to the lettuce.
- Peel and halve eggs and place next to the asparagus. Arrange the crab in a neat mound on top of the lettuce. Add the radish slices and avocado slices to the platter.
- Place the tomatoes and lemon slices next to the lettuce. Pour dressing into 4 small serving bowls. Serve immediately.