Chinese sticky rice dumpling
200 g glutinous U.S. rice
2 shitake mushrooms
67 g U.S. pork belly cut into chunks
½ tablespoon light soy sauce
½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
½ tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
½ teaspoon Chinese five-soice powder
½ pinch white pepper
½ pinch sugar
½ tsp ginger minced
16 bamboo leaves two ends trimmed
4 cooking strings 125cm/50 inch each
1. Prepare: Soak glutinous rice, shiitake mushrooms and bamboo leaves in water overnight. Marinate the pork with the rest of the ingredients overnight.
2. Assemble (pyramid shape): Overlap two leaves like an X. Form a wide cone if the middle. Place some glutinous rice in, then the pork and mushroom. Top with more rice and make it level. Fold two ends of the leaves towards the middle. Then use another two leaves to seal two sides. Tie with a cooking string (opposite direction of the last two leaves).
3. Cook: Place rice dumpling in a pot (ideally small enough to let them snuggle). Fill the pot with water completely covering the rice dumpling. Place a heavy plate on top. Bring the water to a boil then leave to simmer for 2.5 hours (check the water level from time to time. lop up to ensure the Longzi are always underwater).
4. Serve: Best to serve warm.
1. STORAGE: Place the rice dumpling into an air-tight container (or a sealable plastic bag) when they are completely cool. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months
2. REHEAT: Place the rice dumpling (defrosted) into boiling water, Leave to simmer for 3-5 minutes.