Traditional ingredients like feta, olives and pita bread give this salad a Mediterranean twist. The addition of Ground Beef gives it a boost of power-packed protein.
BEEF AND SALAD PITA
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup crumbled herb-flavored feta cheese
- 1/3 cup prepared regular or reduced fat non-creamy Italian dressing or other vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Kalamata or ripe olives, chopped
- 4 pita breads, toasted
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Pour off drippings.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Add lettuce, cheese, dressing and olives to beef mixture; toss to combine. Top pitas with equal amounts of beef mixture.
SAFE HANDLING TIPS:
- Wash hands with soap and water before cooking and always after touching raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other foods.
- Wash all cutting boards, utensils, and dishes after touching raw meat.
- Do not reuse marinades used on raw foods.
- Wash all produce prior to use.
- Cook steaks and roasts until temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for medium rare, as measured by a meat thermometer, allowing to rest for three minutes.
- Cook Ground Beef to 160°F (71°C)
- as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Refrigerate leftovers promptly.
For more information on degree of doneness and other cooking tips visit: https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cooking/determining-doneness
For more information on safe food handling and beef safety, see: https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cooking/food-safety
With cattle outnumbering Nebraskans nearly four to one, beef production represents Nebraska’s single largest industry and the engine that powers the state’s economy. Raising beef is a complex process, but throughout the entire journey, the beef community shares a commitment to raising cattle in a safe, humane and environmentally sustainable way. Learn more about the people and the process involved in raising beef from pasture to plate.