Moon Cake is a traditional pastry in Chinese culture for celebrating Mid-autumn Festival. It varies from north to south China, and the below is one of the Cantonese style moon cake.
US Soft White Wheat and US Soft Red Winter Wheat can make very high-quality low gluten wheat flour for moon cake with good baking quality, tender and fine texture and proper oil return property.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Sino-American Baking School of Guangzhou
|Ingredients||Quantity (g)||Formula ratio|
|Low gluten wheat flour||200||100%|
|Lotus seed paste||1200||600%|
|Salted egg yolk||10pc|
II. Egg wash
Mix well and rest for 20 minutes
- Sift the low gluten wheat flour;
- Mix the syrup with potassium carbonate;
- Add peanut oil step by step, mix well but do not over-stir it;
- Add 1/3 of the flour, mix well, then add the rest 2/3 flour; do not over-stir; rest for 2 hours;
- Wrap 1 salted egg yolk into 120g lotus seed paste and make into a filling ball;
- Divide the dough to 40g each, wrap the ball in, put into moon cake mould, strike and press it tight, then take out the cake;
- Put into oven, spay water and bake at 150 ℃ bottom heat and 230 ℃ upper heat for 6 to 10 minutes until it turns slight yellowish; take out and cool for 5 to 10 minutes
- Brush a layer of egg wash on the surface;
- Put into oven and bake at 150 ℃ bottom heat and 240 ℃ upper heat for 15 minutes until it turns golden.